Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Red, White, and Blue Pie

Pin It



I had a crazy weekend.
We were busy all around, but it was a lot of fun.










Family and friends were around, so we ended up throwing an impromptu get together at our house.









Since it was Memorial Day yesterday,
I thought I would make what I call "Red, White, and Blue Pie."







It's pretty tasty and simple to make.
Plus, it uses fruits that are in season right now (rhubarb, strawberries, and blackberries),
so even if you don't grow them yourself,
you should be able to find them at your local farmers market or grocery store.






Red, White, and Blue Pie
Ingredients

For the Pie:
One 9" pie crust, uncooked
about 7 cups of rhubarb, strawberries, and blackberries (I like about equal parts of all three, but I use whatever I have), cleaned and cut up
Note: I dice my rhubarb into about 1/2"pieces and my strawberries to bite sized pieces. The blackberries I leave whole.
1/2 C of brown sugar
1/2 C of white sugar
1/2 C of AP flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
a healthy pinch of salt






For the crumb topping:
1 stick (1/2 C) of butter, chilled and cut into 1/2" cubes
3/4 C of brown sugar
3/4 C of AP flour
3/4 C of oats (not instant)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
a healthy pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a bowl, gently mix your fruit with all of the filling ingredients. Be careful not to break up your fruit too much.
Place rolled out pie crust in pie dish and fill with fruit mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.



In the meantime, mix all of the crumb topping ingredients except for the butter in a medium bowl.
Cut in your butter with a pastry cutter (or a fork if you don't have one).
After the pie has baked for the first 20 minutes, top with your crumb mixture and place back in the oven.
Knock the oven temperature down to 325 degrees and bake for another hour, or until the filling thickens.

By the way, I put a foil lined cookie sheet underneath the pie plate, so I don't have a sticky mess in the oven.

Done and done.
And so good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!